October 2023 - Finding Peace and Joy in Giving Back
Thanksgiving is a time for reflection and expressing gratitude for our blessings. Find peace and joy by giving back to our local community.
While we’re fortunate to live and work in a county that has consistently ranked as one of the wealthiest in the country, there are still thousands of people living in Hunterdon County whose incomes are below the poverty level. They can be anyone – families with children, senior citizens, war veterans, the unemployed and under-employed, the homeless – even your friends and neighbors.
Fortunately, there are several local food banks that seek to help people overcome their food insecurities. Here are ways we can help them.
- Participate in food drives organized by scout troops or businesses in your neighborhood.
- Check with your local supermarkets. Some offer preassembled donation bags for a nominal fee; others have collection bins for non-perishable items, making it easy to donate as you exit the store.
- If you’re hosting Thanksgiving, ask your guests to bring a shelf-stable food item. Bringing these donations to your closest food pantry will help to restock the shelves after the holiday rush.
While any contribution is appreciated, putting a little thought into your donation can make it more effective. Remember:
- Canned foods aren’t useful if they can’t be opened. Choose cans with flip-tops or include a can opener with your donation just to be sure.
- Cereal, whether breakfast or a snack, is even better with milk. Consider including a shelf-stable boxed milk.
- PB&J provides protein and satisfies that sweet tooth but don’t forget the bread.
- Spices and seasonings are pricey but can elevate even the basic meals.
- A grocery store gift card can be used to purchase fresh ingredients required to complete boxed meals or side dishes.
- Detergents, cleaning supplies and personal hygiene items are expensive but necessary.
Most food banks keep updated lists of items they need most; call or check their website for ideas.
Knowing you made even a small difference in someone else’s life can make your holidays more enjoyable.
Wishing you and yours a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!