Badge - Rated by Super Lawyers Victor A. Rotolo
Badge - Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Badge - Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forums
Badge - New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Attorney
Badge - New Jersey's Best Lawyers For Families 2018
Badge - Rated by Super Lawyers
Badge - AV Preeminent Victor A. Rotolo
Badge - Client Champion Gold 2020
Badge - Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce
Please click Award & Selection Criteria & Methodology for information regarding the specific criteria used for selection of each of the above awards.

November 2016 - Signs That a Charity Might Be a Scam

Signs That a Charity Might Be a Scam

It seems that as the holidays approach, requests from charities spike. While there are a lot of good causes out there, there are just as many, if not more, fraudulent ones. I recently came across a survey conducted a couple of years ago which uncovered about 6,000 so-called charities that weren’t exactly what they said they were. Many of these are for-profit companies that spend more on operating costs and fundraising efforts than on the cause they profess to help.

The survey took an in-depth look at 50 of the worst of these charities and found they applied less than 4% of donations collected directly to aid, using the remaining 96% of funds for things like paying salaries and consulting fees, financing contracts with friends and bankrolling startup expenses. A “good” charity should spend no more than 35% of money donated on fundraising, according to non-profit industry experts.

There are several red flags to help you distinguish good charities from scams. Be wary if you are:

  1. Harassed or threatened
  2. Thanked for a pledge you don’t recall making
  3. Asked to make donations in cash, with a prepaid card, or by wire transfer
  4. Guaranteed a “prize” or “gift” in exchange for your donation
  5. Pressured to make an immediate contribution
  6. Directed to make your donation payable to an individual rather than the charity
  7. Unable to get a phone number or website address for the charity.

Fake charities often use names similar to better-known, legitimate charities. Unfortunately, this confusion can result in legitimate charities getting blamed for the actions of the fake ones. Then everyone loses.

The holidays are traditionally a time of goodwill, and charitable donations are one way to express that. Do your homework and don’t let the scam artists dampen your spirit.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

What Our Clients are Saying

The absolute BEST!!! I have a family of attorneys but needed someone local. Victor was recommended to me and words cannot describe how pleased I was with his firm. The outstanding service and attention each member of his staff gave to me surpassed any and all expectations. Victor surrounds himself with a hardworking team that he leads. I felt it was money spent wisely. I will continue to recommend Victor and his associates.

- Stephanie

Mr. Rotolo has helped me numerous times in legal matters and has continued to support and help me through countless hardships. He is dedicated to providing the best service and is a true professional. I will continue to consult with him regarding any legal issues in the future. He is a respectable, hardworking, kind hearted man and I would recommend his legal services to anyone.

- Matthew

I am an attorney and have practiced law for 26 years. I hired Vic to handle a very difficult family matter because I do not handle family law. Vic was extremely competent and obtained a result far beyond my expectations. Without his counsel my son's and family's life would have been changed forever. Thank you Vic for your good lawyering. I very much appreciate the personal attention and time dedicated to this matter. I highly recommend Vic.

- Anthony

We recently had a situation where we needed to hire an attorney. We selected Kearns Rotolo Law and I can honestly say that we were above and beyond satisfied with Vic and his team. We would absolutely recommend this firm to anyone should the need arise. We blindly picked the firm out of the phone book because I liked his ad. Now I believe that God was pointing us in the right direction. Thank you Vic and Kearns Rotolo Law for being there for us in our time of need.

- Kim

Victor's expertise, due diligence, and empathy for his client made my first experience with the law (and last) a non-stressful one. Before the case, I did my research and looked over about 20 lawyers before choosing Victor. All my sources pointed to him as the best and they weren't off even a bit. Victor treated my case like it was his own and kept me up to date with all my appointments, breakthroughs in the case, and guided me step through step in a process that I never thought that I had to come to endure. If Victor's not available Susy will go out of her way to take care you. The productivity and efficiency in that office is second to none. Thank you Victor!

- Michael